Tuesday, November 11, 2014

The Lack of Healthy Food Establishments in our Malls!

I went out with the girls to the mall the other day and we ended up being there around lunch time so I was so glad that Tank Juice Bar was there as they offer a range of great salads,wraps,juices and have recently introduced acai bowls! What's even better is they also cater for kids so you can take the whole family there. >> Tank Juice Menu

I loved my salad but upon looking around Tank seemed to be the one of the few establishments in the food court with proper healthy clean foods - and even then Tank is just out from the main food court and Pita Pit is outside the main food court doors (Westfield Westcity). I mean they also have the Cafe Bergerac which offer a healthier menu, and then Matsu Sushi would be your next best bet. Mozaic offers kebabs which is semi healthy but their pastas and sandwiches and other cooked goods are massive in proportion size. Other than that all there is McDonald's, Burger King, Shamiana - Indian and the other various smorgasbord/buffet style food places. Bet you know where the most queues were - you guessed it McDonald's and Burger King and whats even more of a shame that as I looked around it seemed that was all the children were eating. I don't think I saw one child around me that didn't have an unhealthy meal in front of them.

Its such a shame because the mall is inundated with youths and even more so now that we are coming up to school holidays. The options provided are all geared towards takeaways, combos and processed foods and we as a country are trying to encourage healthier living to help tackle our rising obesity rate - the options available there are not helping! I really think in order for society and our youth to begin making healthier decisions there needs to be more education about the options available. Creating bad habits in our youth now will only lead to problems later - I'm not saying they should never eat it just that they need to be more informed about the decisions they are making. While it may taste great what its doing to your body isn't so great - so if you got littlies start now :)

So my question is what healthy establishments do you have in your local mall? Are there more and where are the most queues?


No comments:

Post a Comment